This is a guide to the approximate informal status relationship between the characters as it is at the start of the larp. However, the film business is a cut throat world and, particularly among the Cast, status changes often. Status is a very transient thing.
The structures for the Crew and Cast are completely separate; but in both cases, nearer the top of the list = higher status.
People who are on the same line separated by a slash may have a status gradation between them, but it’s too fine to be appreciated by others.
Respecting the current status and seniority is important, in this world: to fail to do so is to make a challenge, which you’d better be prepared to back up. (Of course, as time passes and things degenerate, the polite patterns of social interaction are likely to blur; even disintegrate.)
- THE ASSISTANT DIRECTOR – normally this was not such a senior position, but this particular character is trusted by Gottfried, which gives him more status and also more responsibility, including the responsibility to keep things running smoothly at all costs.
- THE ART DIRECTOR – this is the equivalent of the role of Production Designer in modern cinema. This person is responsible for the overall visual look of the production.
- THE METHOD ACTING INSTRUCTOR – has higher status than would be expected, because she is a friend of Gottfried, and someone he considers key to the success of his production. Of course, some may disagree.
- THE SCRIPTWRITER – a useful friend to have, if you want a starring role.
- THE COSTUME DESIGNER
- THE MAKEUP ARTIST / THE HAIRSTYLIST
- THE PROPMASTER
- THE PSYCHOTHERAPIST
- THE LOCATION MANAGER – responsible for managing the needs of the cast and crew on location.
- THE PUBLICIST
- THE STILLS PHOTOGRAPHER
- THE RUNNER – Everyone’s assistant. Does what’s needed.
THE INVESTOR, THE SUBJECT, and THE RIVAL are guests of the production, so are automatically of high status.
Doyen(ne)s of the field:
- THE GRANDE DAME
- THE VETERAN
- THE DIVA
- THE BEST FRIEND / THE CAD / THE CLOWN / THE FEMME FATALE / THE GOOD-TIME GIRL / THE MAN OF MYSTERY
Established but not so starry:
- THE GIRL NEXT DOOR / THE SIDEKICK
- THE FADING STAR (falling): THE INGENUE / THE JOURNEYING HERO / THE NAIF (rising)
- THE STAND-IN
(photo: Oliver Facey)